Game Pacing annnnd Other Ramblings

 

            Hello. I stated this quite a while ago but kind of didn’t know where to go with it. Like a month ago now I was trying to play and finish games I just haven’t along with playing some classic PlayStation, PlayStation 2 games. I started playing Lollipop Chainsaw RePop on my breaks at work but was in the middle of a level, accidentally, quit out of it, had to restart it, trying to figure out how the hell to heal so I was Googling stuff. I came across some Reddit post of the person saying something like “Why is this game so addicting? I meant to play for only 15 minutes but have been playing for over an hour.” After now finishing the game, playing other older games and still trying to finish Assassin’s Creed Shadow I can say the answer to that question is the pacing. In Lollipop Chainsaw you go from fighting a room of zombies to a minigame of some sort, fight zombies, minigame. Even original God of War is like this. Room full of enemies, puzzle, enemies, some climbing or rope thing that sucks, enemies. It keeps things moving without stopping you. In AC Shadows though, you can travel a good three to five minutes in between encounters without doing anything. That might not sound like a lot but when you play games where a 30sec cooldown is the difference between life and death, it’s a lot. I understand you made a big beautiful game and you want us to look at how hard you worked but that’s just not what a video game is to me, especially games based on real places. I’d be much more interested in looking at something someone created rather than a 1:1 replication of a city in Florida. You could argue there are things to find on your trip from point A to B; There’s Yasuke’s kata’s, Naoe’s Naruto hand sign things, shrines to pray at but those aren’t engaging, gameplay wise. I’ll do them because of the completionist side of me will force me to but they add nothing to the actual fun part of the game. In Spider-Man you have to travel a lot but you are actively doing it, you are in control of how you swing, glide, fall, slingshot, whatever. On your way you might find a collectible to get, fight a few bad guys, do a sub-mission but you’re still doing it, in control and there’s no chance to get lost. AC Shadows I could not use the autopilot and try to find my way from point to point but more often than not I’m probably going to end up being stuck on a mountain. If I’m using the GPS I might as well just use the auto follow and if something pops up I will go and do it but there’s not much reason to pick fights with ronins or random bandits. Black Flag has a lot of traveling but there are things to do as you go. You can just blast random boats, do some spear hunting or a storm pops up and you have to navigate through it. On the opposite side you have something like Shadow of the Colossus which going from point to point is part of the mystery, part of the intrigue, part of the puzzle. “What really IS this place? Why is there nothing here?” There are some things to keep an eye out for, lizards and fruit that will up your stamina and health. So to me, if traveling is just for filler then you’ve done it wrong. I’ve put in 50 hours currently to AC Shadows and I’m sure a fair majority of that time has been spent traveling. If I got paid to do this then I would go out of my way to time everything.

            I don’t have a ton of time to play games and I just find all these empty moments to not value my time. Older games could be completed in like an afternoon if you wanted. Maybe not 100%ing it, but you could complete the main game. The original Crash games for instance; I’ve been playing through them with emulation just for nostalgia sake. I’m noticing more that remakes that try to be faithful to the original come up short because things were built differently in the past and it’s near impossible to replicate. I think the Spyro Reignited Trilogy is an exception, as far as I can tell it’s pretty much a 1:1 remake. The Crash games were not and that’s why I’ve been trying to 100% the originals. While doing this I’ve found out that in the first Crash, the bonus stages are NOT required for the gems. It makes things slightly easier because you have to complete the level without dying to get the gem but I did not know that in the past. In the remake for Crash 2 I had a HORRIBLE time in some of the sewer levels where there are gaps with hot pipes and floating, spiky bots. I died over and over again but playing through the original I didn’t have an issue with that at all. Another level type that I had a hard time with in the remake was the jet pack levels but not in the original. The levels with the bees also, I don’t know why I had such a hard time in the remakes but. I just find if a game is short but is overall fun and has different challenges, that is where play time and replayability climbs. If your game has 100 hours of “gameplay” but most of that is traveling and cinematics then I’d rather play a 20ish hour game that is more gameplay then anything else. Also, something I apparently was confused about; getting all the time boxes in a relic race in Crash 3 does NOT shave off some time of your final score. It DOES in CTR but not Warped. So if I actually did get all platinum relics in Crash 3 as a child then something was seriously wrong with me. So perhaps I’ve treated the Crash remakes too harshly but they still do have their own issues. Also I’ve been confused about the 100% complete percentages. I could’ve sworn the second game had something more than 100% but I’ve done it just this week and the internet says it’s one hundred. The remake is one-oh-two so I give up. I don’t know what’s true anymore.

            I’ve been trying to play through Web of Shadows on my PC. It’s got some quirks that I’ve had to adjust some Nvidia settings but I’m getting through it. When I played the Insomniac Spider-Man’s the combat didn’t seem very fun. People on the internet will say that the combat is really awesome but even when I played it for the first time I wasn’t convinced. Maybe it’s the loud minority, maybe that’s just what the internet/Reddit is, maybe it’s always the loud minority that I see. Maybe, mistakenly by me, absolutely none of it is a majority thought, I don’t know. From my experience, as base Peter Parker Spider-Man in the Insomniac games, all it is is press circle when your spidersense goes off and mash square. If they have a shield then you dodge and mash square. If they have a melee weapon you press and hold square, triangle to web to them then mash square. It’s just doesn’t do anything for me, I don’t feel anything from it. In Web of Shadows you press and mash the square equivalent but there are some combos to it. Attack, hold attack and do a spin attack. Mash, mash, mash, hold attack and do a bunch of punches into some more punches. Web zip to someone, attack, attack, attack and you yo-yo the guy with web and your fist. I think a lot of the gaps in Insomniac’s combat is supposed to be replaced with web gadgets. I can’t speak for Miles’ combat and the symbiote suit of Spider-Man 2 because I don’t remember, I’ve done a little of the first game as I play Web of Shadows. I feel like I primarily did play as Miles due to his electric abilities being more fun in combat. I plan to play those next after I finish WoS and the first one. So, yeah, as far as I’m concerned the combat is lacking in Insomniac’s Spider-Man. Things in Web of Shadows are rather drawn out though. Boss fights, quests, they take much longer than I would like but overall, the game feels more like a game and less like a movie I’m interacting with occasionally.

            My Steam Controller came in recently and I’ve been enjoying it. I finished Silksong last week, finally. Was it because of the Steam Controller? Probably not, but it’s done. The last time I played I was stuck on Tormented Trobbio and I finally got past him, after that, and after remembering how to play and where to go, the rest of the game wasn’t too bad. I did end up having to use the cogflies against Lost Lace but I did it. There’s still some other things I haven’t done, I still need to fight The Sinner apparently and find some more tools. I probably won’t do everything everything, oh but I do want to find the rest of the fleas. I tried to use the Steam Controller for Helldivers 2 but it was not happening for me. I mapped some of the holds to the back buttons but it didn’t help, I kept hitting the wrong buttons and stuff. I guess when it comes to Helldivers I’m just a mouse and keyboard player. I was hoping the rumble of the controller would activate when things would sneak up behind me but that didn’t seem to be the case.

            Sooo that’s that. Lollipop Chainsaw, Exoprimal, Denshattack, these are good ol’ fashion video games. Random premises and just stupid fun. Modern games, mostly Sony games frankly, are more interactive movie then video game. Maybe Wolverine will be better than I think it will be, combat wise. Maybe it’ll have some actual combos. We’ll have to wait and see about that. So what are your thoughts? What are your thoughts on modern gaming? Have you gotten a Steam Controller? Plan on getting one? If you have one, how do you like it? Do you think the Silksong DLC will be out soon? Let me know your thoughts with a comment and I’ll get back to Silksong. Bye-bye.

            @AztecSauce




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Xbox Can't Stop Shitting Themselves, Restarting AC Shadows and GTA 6 Goes Digital

Multiplayer Difficulty Scaling, Current Events and Personal Rants

Speculation and Hopes For Next "Portable" MonHun