Ghost Recon Future Soldier


I was going to complain about Breakpoint again but as I wrote, it was apparent it was more of a list of why I like Future Soldier. In my last post on the topic I only touched on aspects I liked or disliked and didn’t really go any deeper so I’m hoping this will be better. Now that they’ve released “immersive mode” I’ll start off with; I hate the whole, make the game fun for you, mindset a lot of developers have. It’s like a jack of all trades, master of none sort of thing. They do a little bit of everything but nothing is done exceptionally well. The only exception to that rule, I find, is Dishonored and Splinter Cell Blacklist because I feel like those games were made with stealth in mind and the developers found a way to work in action gameplay for those that would want it. I prefer to play those games in a way so the NPCs don’t even know I was there. If I can get around everyone and no one is missing or out of place, there’s no reason to suspect I was there. But I do like that if you are caught it’s not like you have to start over every time; things just change unless the mission calls for no alarms. The NPCs are on high alert and/or put on extra armor. When you start Breakpoint after the new update a page comes up with a few different options to play with or you can completely customize everything. Things from how much damage the enemies do to how aware they are, lose the ammo in your clip when you reload or not, what you want to show up on your HUD. It’s a lot, almost too much and not enough at the same time. I feel like no matter how much I play with those settings I’m never happy with what shows up on my screen and am constantly in the settings. I think immersive mode is better but after finishing the base game I just don’t feel like going back to it.
            When you start BP after the new update you can start a mission to help Sam Fisher from Splinter Cell. He’s back, again and his mission is going to cost you extra money. Ubisoft said this mission adds seven to eight hours of content but the Year 1 Pass to get it is also $40. Is that worth it? I’ve already paid full price for a game I found disappointing and I’m not too compelled to shell out more. The first mission is free though so that’s good but there’s something in the dialogue between Nomad and Fisher that seems like even the developers were unhappy with the direction they had to take BP from the beginning. Fisher askshow the island is treating Nomad and he answers “It’s just like Bolivia only it sucks more.” Ouch dude. That seems very meta to me to just be in game dialogue.
            One thing that I really hate seeing is people complaining about the drones. I’ve read people saying they find the drone concept to be “comicbooky.” I mean, drones have been a real thing for a long while now, obviously not the way they’ve been depicted in games but they’ll get there. The military uses them for dangerous jobs like bomb removal and repairing ground conditions while under enemy fire. There are videos of dog like and humanoid AI drones (they're so mean to the robot!) out and BP takes place in 2023 on a fictional island with the best minds of robotics in the world working on these drones. I don’t mind the drones for the most part. In all the promos and trailers for Ghost Recon Future Soldier they showed different drones and UGV (unmanned ground vehicle) and the only one that I remember that made it in game was the Warhound your squad used in one mission. After all the build up from Wildlands, I just see BP being a bridge between WL and FS and can only hope that there will be a Future Soldier 2 at some point.
            Ghost Recon Future Soldier was made by Red Storm and through Googling and Wikipedia I found out that they did a lot of the earlier Tom Clancy games. They did a lot of Rainbow Six games and the Ghost Recon franchise until Wildlands. They were co-founded by Tom Clancy himself and that right there is why I think I like their games so much. They know how to tell a story through these games in a way that doesn’t seem that important to the rest of Ubisoft anymore. I always felt that Red Storm’s The Division had a really intriguing story but only recently have I gotten into the game and I feel it’s the spiritual sequel to FS. (Edit: Upon further reading I found that Red Storm does the Dark Zone aspect of Division 2 and Massive Entertainment is responsible for the story and core gameplay.)
            My next talking point is the gunsmith. The gunsmith was a big point for FS and I really enjoyed the feature. I complained about the gunsmith in BP before but Ubi either changed it a little or I just got used to it but I don’t think it’s that horrible anymore. I just liked how simple and clean it was in FS. Every gun piece you selected showed a clear positive, negative or no change to the guns stats. The gunsmith for BP is a bit more convoluted, some of the gun parts in BP show an increase or decrease to a stat but there are a lot of percentages for sway, horizontal or vertical recoil, ect. I really liked the amount of magazine types and ammo types in FS and that the bipod was an actual, usable attachment.
            I feel character control is best in FS versus BP and The Division 2. I feel mostly in BP and a little bit in The Division that my character just doesn’t always do what I want or expect. My character in BP is constantly never looking the way I want him to. Sometimes when I try to look out of cover, say to the left of cover, his back will be facing left and when I move him more to the left he just backs up instead of switching view points. It’s a bit frustrating. Using cover feels the best in FS also. My BP character always comes off of cover when I don’t want them to. I have the opposite problems in The Division sometimes where I want to get off but my character really likes the wall he’s on.
            As far as gameplay goes I like the levels/missions of FS and you can see that Red Strom took that and worked it into The Division 2. In the missions of both these games you are consistently pushing forward. You want to relocate a lot during combat so enemies can’t pin you down and to get better angles on them. With BP though, I never really had that need, unless I was fighting drones, most of the time it was easier to get caught by the enemies, find a narrow corridor, alley or stairwell and take them out one by one. In FS you start each mission with a briefing and depending on what the mission is you want to take the appropriate weapons. Sometimes things turn in the middle of the mission and there will be a weapon box to change your loadout or pick up an enemies gun. In the mission Subtle Arrow you start off by sneaking in and around a refugee camp that an arms dealer has taken over. You need to get to an airfield where he’s loading a plane full of weapons. So you start the mission stealthy and slowly make your way through the camp, taking out enemies only if it’s absolutely necessary. Once you make it to the airfield you notice the plane is already spinning up and about to take off. You now have to take down this plane anyway possible. There’s a weapons box to the side of one of the hangers and I would grab the LMG there and start shooting at the planes turbine. Stealth isn’t needed anymore; this plane needs to go down. With BP I never felt the need to change my guns really, it never really mattered what you used as weapons. I typically would run with a G28 and an SMG of some kind and that’s all I needed. There was never a real need to use something as big as an LMG unless I was fighting a Behemoth drone. As long as you aimed for the head and waited you can clear out any base in BP with ease. I disliked how the missions were set up in BP because it was basically, go to this point, kill everyone, get what ever you needed, fly to this next point and repeat. In Wildlands it wasn’t that bad because each area’s missions were typically contained in each province and led into one another. BP can have you travel to three or four provinces for a single mission. There’s so much down time between mission points that I loose interest. With The Division 2 though there is no stealth. There’s the initial jump you get on enemies but after that it’s guns, guns, guns. I never use shotguns in Ghost Recon but it’s one of my favorite things to use in Division.
            So that’s that I think. I’m going to go try to get my exotic LMG back in Division 2 since I broke mine because I didn’t look at all the upgrade requirements. *Cries.*
                          @AztecSauce                                              @H4mmerBros.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crashing the Game Awards

WarCraft 4 and More RTS'

WoW Times 2