Slow NPCs, Infinite Xbox Controllers and PS Missing IPs

 

            Hello. Nothing really going on at the moment, some exciting news has been popping up here and there with the “E3 season” upon us but nothing I really have comments on. Monster Hunter Wilds is looking pretty hype, 40k Space Marine 2 looks fun, Mechanicus 2 was a pretty cool announcement, Tactical Breach Wizards demo, Zenless Zone Zero is almost here and who knows if that’ll be any good. A lot of single player/co-op stuff on my radar are releasing soon so that’s cool but I have a ton of stuff I’ve been sitting on that I haven’t played/finished so I’m kind of trying to do that. I got Animal Well on my Steam Deck to play at work on breaks, I’ve been playing Astro’s Playroom and Assassin’s Creed Mirage and Hellblade 2 and Ghost of Tsushima (on PC) just came out so yeah. But there have been random things I’ve noticed that I wanted to blather on about for a bit.

            I don’t understand in games when you have an NPC talking and walking with you why they can never finish their dialog before you get to the destination. It happened in AC Mirage recently but I remember specifically in Code Vein, the very beginning of the game you walk towards a specific spot and the girl with you doesn’t finish whatever she has to say before you get there. Why do developers do this? One, why do NPCs never walk the same speed as the playable character? They are either too fast or painfully slow, why? Two, the developers make the game, they know how long it’s going to take your character to get from A to B so why does the dialog not keep up or why do they write so much dialog for that span of walking? Why? WHYYYY? Just make the characters walk the same speed or tie the characters together in some way that when you move your character you move both characters and figure out the dialog would ya? If I’m actually trying to pay attention to the story I feel like I’m missing things and if you’re going to cut of your own characters then is the story even worth my time?

            Another thing I noticed back in Assassin’s Creed Origins but was reminded of it in Mirage is different rarity horses/mounts in the game. You’ve got some with purple backgrounds, gold backgrounds, just implying they are more valuable then other mounts but why? Do they go faster? No. Okay… Why do I care then? I mean if you have a ton of in game currency than sure, buy everything you can I guess but if there’s no benefit then I guess I’ll just use these coins for you know, upgrading stuff, or new weapons or armor.

            For the Switch’s life I’ve been really surprised at how little Nintendo has done for their controllers. Sure you’ve got every color of the rainbow for joy-cons but pretty much jack shit for pro controllers. They released some special ones for Splatoon, Smash, even Monster Hunter and probably Zelda, maybe a few others but that’s it. I’d expect more from Nintendo. I was kind of hoping for a translucent controller, similar to the old Gameboy Color variant but no. I was hoping for a Switch like that honestly, I know there's kits you can buy and do it yourself but I'd just fuck it up. There are some third party controllers like that, I bought one and it is junk, but I just thought Nintendo would do more on that front. Xbox on the other hand, good lord. If they put like one tenth of the effort they do for all their controllers they shove out into game development well son, I think they’d actually have some games on the market.

            As I play Astro’s Playroom I see all these game references and it’s like “damn, Sony is really just sitting on a ton of IP aren’t they?” I’ve been seeing a bunch of other people talk about why games are the way they are now, as I’m sure you have too, and @NEETproxy and I talk about it and it just seems to come down to game companies are too big now, they caught the eye of investors and those investors drive what kind of games these companies make. That’s why we have so many groups breaking off and making their own smaller studios so they don’t have to deal with that and make games they actually want to make. Pick any demo disc from the PS1 era and look at the variety and uniqueness of each game. We need that back. Where’s Ape Escape? Even Killzone, I’d play a new Killzone. I think I can tolerate and would rather play Killzone more than Gears.

            That’s it pretty much. Nothing major, just random things that have been in the back of my mind. So what’s going on with you? Is there anything you’re looking forward too this next week or two? What’s your day do you think the Nintendo Direct will drop? They always seem to do it on a Wednesday I work so either this Wednesday or the 26th. Let me know any thoughts, comments or concerns you have and I’ll probably have something to say next week unless everything is just a pile of shit. Until then, bye-bye!

                @AztecSauce







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crashing the Game Awards

WarCraft 4 and More RTS'

WoW Times 2