Let Sam Fisher Out!

 

          Ubisoft! What the fuck?! Stop doing this! Give the poor man a game! I just got done talking about how Ubisoft leaves all these hints and references in the Assassin’s Creed franchise but they’ve been going even further. (I was playing a little of Black Flag yesterday and right at the beginning there was a reference to something that would be seen in Rogue.) By not playing these games right away I find these connections way later and I know I’m not the only one noticing them obviously but it’s just getting too ridiculous for Sam Fisher/Splinter Cell in particular. Having Sam show up in so many Tom Clancy games kind of makes sense but now (now for me, about 4ish years since Odyssey came out) it’s bleeding into the Assassin’s Creed games and maybe there’s been even more over the years I just haven’t noticed.

            The first kind of crossover/tie-in/easter egg that wasn’t Tom Clancy related I can think of Ubisoft doing with different franchises is with Watch Dogs and Assassin’s Creed 4 Black Flag. All I remember hearing was there was a mission where the CEO of Abstergo from Black Flag was killed in Watch Dogs. I don’t know if he was the main target of the player, I don’t know if it was just suppose to be an easter egg for people to find or if they really wanted people to know that Assassin’s Creed and Watch Dogs were in the same universe. At the time it was probably the latter but now with all sorts of different franchises doing these multiverses and what not it starts to make you think more. I mean honestly I’m probably just over thinking it myself because that’s what I do but when it comes to Sam Fisher it is getting really, REALLY annoying.

            So, the reason I started this post, probably should’ve been a paragraph or two before not but whatever; I’m playing Odyssey, Layla decides to get out of the Animus and walk around, k fine. Not something I normally do but it’s a new game for me, I’ll walk around a bit, look at stuff. I notice that they’re set up in London and it’s pouring outside and it reminds me of a mission in Splinter Cell Blacklist and no sooner that I’m saying this I turn the character and there are a pair of three optic night vision goggles and to make matters even worse Layla has the balls to say “They look like Third Echelon or is it Fourth?” Like what?! Excuse me?! Why do you know about that sister? Why!? Explain it to me! Does this mean Fourth Echelon is in this world? And even if they are, they’re suppose to be a secret branch (to my understanding), so why do you know? I mean with secret groups like Abstergo and the Brotherhood running amok I can see them finding out about secret military groups but still! There are questions that need answering!

            I know I’ve talked about Sam Fisher being in every other Tom Clancy games in some way, shape or form at this point but if it was all in one post I can’t find it. He shows up in Ghost Recon Wildlands for a few missions. You help defend him as he hacks something, you get away, no big deal, not much to it as far as I remember. Actually Wildlands had some cool tie-ins with Rainbow Six Siege and Ghost Recon Future Soldier too. And Predator. That was the best. But with each of those kinds of missions you would unlock special gear from those respected games. Sam shows back up in Ghost Recon Breakpoint but behind a paywall. I actually think I got those missions for free within the last year or two, I should give them a shot.

            Later Sam would show up as an operator in Siege known as “Zero.” Why? Why “Zero” and why at all for that matter? This goes right up there with stuff I hated to see in Heroes of the Storm. Siege is in a strange limbo world as I’ve mentioned before. Siege and Extraction are like branching timelines, alternate realities in my head canon so Siege could just be a completely separate thing from the likes of Vegas and Vegas 2. Again, some characters from Siege show up in Wildlands but maybe that’s a timeline where they actually do something instead of paintball all day.

            More recently Sam Fisher made a slight appearance in the announcement of a new game mode in The Division 2 called Descent. He shows up with green glowing eyes as another, I don’t know, NPC? Person? Player? Points their laser scope to his forehead making the iconic three green triangle but the image of Sam fades and you see someone else and he comes back signaling that this is just an avatar for this environment sense the Descent is just a simulation. Does that mean Sam/Third/Fourth Echelon made this simulation? Who knows. Again, Division seems to take place in a completely different timeline then the other Tom Clancy games, I mean Christ it’s been summer in that game for like what, over three years now? Time just seems to stand still in Division 2.

            It’s easy to dismiss these things or label it as “over thinking” but for a group of people that reference Assassin’s Creed games to each other and to put in subtle hints for future AC games, it seems intentional. Like there’s so much symbolism and such in things like Across the Spider-Verse do you really think some of these things are accidents? No. These people are so deliberate with every inch of the screen right down to the colors they use in certain scenes, it’s all on purpose and I feel the same way about the Tom Clancy, and now Assassin’s Creed games. It could just be a “just in case” sort of thing that if it’s brought out of no where they can be like “we left you little bread crumbs” even though they don’t have to but.

            All of this still leads up to the fact that Sarah Fisher could be a Splinter Cell/Assassin Brotherhood hybrid if Ubisoft really wanted to. But still why hasn’t there been a new Splinter Cell game? Why put Sam into literally every other franchise you own but not a new game? Have Sam step aside, he can be the new Nick Fury spook for Fourth Echelon/Tom Clancy and Briggs can be the new operative. The closest thing we have to a newish Splinter Cell game is the Echelon class in Breakpoint which is not what any of us want. Also while playing Odyssey I get the urge to play Wildlands and the want for a new Wildlands like Ghost Recon. They’re roughly the same, use the drone/bird to scout enemies, sneak around in bushes and corners of buildings to kill people and when they inevitably find you lay waste to the remaining forces.

            While Googling stuff I found that there is a Splinter Cell suit in a Far Cry game… Come on Ubisoft, give the poor guy a new game, you’ve reportedly got 11 Assassin’s Creed games in the works, help Sam out, throw him a bone, good god. So, uh, the usual questions. What do you think? Do you want a new Splinter Cell game? Do you not want a new Splinter Cell game and wish Ubi would just stop putting Splinter Cell easter eggs in every game they make? Do you not care at all and just wish I’d bury my head in some sand? Let me know below and I’ll see you when I see you. Bye bye.

          @AztecSauce

idkwtf this is, I just Googled "Sam Fisher sad" so, here you go.                          



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crashing the Game Awards

WarCraft 4 and More RTS'

WoW Times 2