Fighting Game Modes and MH Fighter.

         Hello again. I posted this once but I wasn’t quite happy with it so I’m going to try to trim the fat. I want to talk more about my Monster Hunter fighting game. I’m not going to go too in-depth with each character’s/monster’s moves since I’m not that well versed in fighting games like other people. I’m not able to suggest possible inputs and such. First though I want to talk about game modes I really enjoy from older fighting games that the games seem to have moved away from. For the most part I’ve noticed that my first experience with a franchise is typically going to be my favorite and what everything after will be compared to. When it comes to fighting games I’m as casual as it comes. I have little desire to play against other people online for the most part. What I’ve noticed also is that the genre has moved further away from the casual crowd and focus primarily on the pro scene. For me, if all you have is straight up fighting I'm probably going to loose interest pretty quick. I need a reason to play. If there's a mode that keeps me coming back then I will inadvertently learn and seek out combos. That's the best way to get me to branch out and play against other players.

The first fighting game I really got into was Tekken 3. I had a demo of it and played the absolute shit out of it and eventually got the full game. What I like about Tekken 3 the most is the arcade mode, Tekken Force and Tekken ball. The arcade mode was fun and simple. You played against like eight characters I believe and that was it. It was just something you could jump into and get done rather quickly. Tekken Force was a fun little mode, I don’t know if it was small enough to be called a mini-game but it was a fun throwback to side scrolling beat ‘em ups. Tekken ball was also a goofy little mode where you played volleyball but had to kick or punch the ball for it to go back to your opponent. At the time I had a lot of time to play Tekken and over the years just had less and less time to do so.

Soul Calibur 4 was pretty fun. It had a tower mode that you would get to different floors, fight characters and get new pieces of armor to give you damage or armor buffs. It was fun. One of my friends and I would take turns. I think you got to choose three characters so I would pick the first and last character, he’d pick the middle and when my character lost I’d hand the controller to him and that’s how we played.

I started playing Blazblue during the first game and have tried to keep up with it for the most part. It’s just very crazy now, there are so many characters and the story is just as crazy. I don’t think any fighting games’ story makes any sense and I kind of think there is some rule that it has to be that way. But aside from generally liking the game as a whole, the game mode I like the most is the Abyss Mode in Continuum Shift for the 3DS. It’s very similar to Soul Cal 4’s tower mode except you descend into the abyss rather than climb a tower. It’s just fun to get new buffs and see how far you can go. It gives me something to do and I’m a big proponent for FUN. The current game I think is Central Fiction and it does bring back a form of Abyss Mode but low and behold I don’t like what they’ve done to it. You get to go through fights and rounds like normal but when you get to a certain point you’re technically “done” a spot and to continue down you have to, I believe, get past a certain number of characters in a boss rush mode or something. I don’t quite want to do that. I just want to keep going.

Now since my Monster Hunter fighting game would have to be done by Capcom I’ll end with their games. I played a little of Street Fighter 4 only because when I got my 3DS it had a copy of the game in it. I had my 3DS preordered and I’m guessing the store used MY 3DS for the hands-on event they had the night of the release. Kinda made me mad but whatever. I’m not a big Street Fighter fan at all to be honest. I want to like it more but I just can't. I liked Street Fighter x Tekken for the most part. I really liked that they used Yoshimitsu’s Tekken 3 look. I could’ve done without the gem system and it would’ve been nice if the Tekken characters used the Tekken button layout but whatever. I liked seeing Capcom's take on the Tekken characters. But SFxT is the game that I will go and play when I just need to kill some time and that’s pretty much what I’d like from fighting games. It doesn’t have any fun modes to speak of so it must do something right for me to keep coming back to it.

            On to MonHun. Monster Hunter Rise added a new riding mechanic where you can control a monster and have them attack other monsters. It's either the start of my proposed fighting game or the end of it. But as far as my wish game goes I’d love it to have a pixel/sprite art style. I find pixel and sprite art to be so much more interesting (this guy is amazing) then most 3D visuals. I imagine the game would be 2D with sprite art. The monsters that have variants or sub-species could be the player two colors. Barioth and Sand Barioth for instance. Monsters that don’t have one could get one and maybe it could show up in a future MonHun game. Going with the Barioth, I can imagine one of its moves or traits is to jump on to the side of the screen and attacking off of it like Rolento of Street Fighter. Monsters that I think would be good to see would be the

-Rathalos (it’s a Monster Hunter game and Capcom wouldn’t think to make a game without it)

-Barioth

-Tigrex

-Zinogre

-Brachydios

-Gigginox (a fav of mine that has rudely been snubbed lately)

-Glavenus

-Goss Harag

-Bishaten

-Tetrandon

-Aknosom

-Magnomalo.

Others that I personally would like to see would be the Lagiacrus, Tetsucabra and Qurupeco. But I can just imagine some of these monsters’ moves in a 2D style fighting game. I was thinking the Rathalos could be the boss or secret boss but I don’t think it’s the best thing for it. It’s iconic, it should be playable. I don't really like random mechanics in fighting games but this being a Capcom game I can see them doing some kind of rage mode or meter or something. A lot of the monsters kind of change when they get enraged and attack faster and hit harder. Nargacuga's eyes glow red, the Goss Harag’s whole body turns red, that sort of thing. I’d like the final boss to be new to the franchise as a whole and make an appearance in a future MonHun game. Again, I’m not looking for this game to be like super competitive or whatever. I just want a fun, casual fighting game. That would be nice. I mean a lot of games get a competitive scene that weren’t exactly made for it either. Look at Catherine.

            So that’s that. At this point it's hard for me to remember what I've talked about and what I typed up but then deleted. I feel like I talked about fighting games not being casual friendly but I might not have. As a whole I feel fighting games don’t have modes for casuals anymore and the devs just focus on the competitive scene. It makes sense but if you don’t make something fun and accessible you’re not going to attract new players. I’m waiting for something new to catch my attention. Wayforward is working on a Kaiju fighting game which seems intriguing. I’d really like a new Bloody Roar to come out. I haven’t played a Bloody Roar so I’d really like a new one to come and so I can give it a shot. What monster or variant of a monster would you like to see in a Monster Hunter fighting game? Do you have a recommendation for a fighting game I should check out? Is there a mode in a fighting game you really liked? Let me know down below and I’m gonna go get back to Rise. Until the next one!



@KaijuVTubes                                         @TheGetGudScrubs


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crashing the Game Awards

WarCraft 4 and More RTS'

WoW Times 2